- Is it just me, or is the grass getting greener and the infield getting firmer and just more darn aesthetically pleasing as the season goes on?
- Why can't we get jalapenos on our nachos? The real processed cheeze food is perfect, so is the salsa, but we want to bring the heat!
- The scoreboard is great, and we now get to see live versions of the inter-inning entertainment, so why can't we see a player's key stats when he hits (average, hits, RBI's, etc.) or when there is a pitching change? And how he is doing on the night - "1 for 3 - single, BB, K, K"? And what about the visiting team? It would be great to know who they were too. Maybe the All Star game will push us there, but it can't be that hard to do.
- Even better, like those old hockey cards from the '70's, maybe we could have a cartoon with a fun fact about the player - "In the off-season, Alex likes to go water skiing" or "Timmy will be studying Astrology at CSF this year".
- I know we can't do anything about it, but the sun angle is brutal on the first base line, and with the plate moved back it's hard to see the hitter since these kids are so darn keen and stand up all the time.
- Speaking of these kids, have you ever seen so many games without someone blowing a gasket? I have yet to see anyone go nuts over a blown call or even come close to being tossed out. And they run on and off the field like they actually like being there...strange.
- Harvey has a lot of junk in the trunk - we need to chip in and get him a personal trainer or he'll never beat anyone around the bases. No offense Harv', I'm just sayin'...
- There has never been a better dynamic duo (sorry Caped Crusaders!) on a summer evening than Spinnakers and Pig.
- I cannot figure out why the catchers - on both teams - drop the ball so frequently? Is it because they are getting used to catching for new pitchers? New gloves? Hard to see the ball?
- Alex Real is the Re-al De-al. The guy can hit and he has a pretty good glove too. You will see him on your TV some day.
- Are they filming Terminator IV (the Early Days) behind third base, because it sure looks like a scene from post-apocalyptic mankind? I think a cool "between innings" promotion would be to have a kid run through there and if they don't get bitten by a raccoon or step on a nail, they win a prize.
- I'm impressed with the crowds that make it out, even on weeknights, even when the team is in a slump. Wait a minute, could this model actually work and give us a "permanent" baseball team?? Heart be still!
- No one is ever in the "Group deck" behind third base - why not turn it into a "beer garden" every so often with cheap beer and eats and make it a cool place to hang out. In an extreme example, the Tacoma Rainiers got it going on with Thirsty Thursday's! The space will get used, and more bums will pass through the turnstiles.
- It's so Canadian that the beer stands use a puck to hold money down on windy days.
- Do you only get a franchise in this league if your town has a weird name - Walla Walla, Wenatchee, Cowlitz, Bend, Kitsap? We're pretty normal with Victoria, but where are the Springfield's or the Newtown's?
- What would base coaches do if we moved the coaching box to where they actually stand? Would they stay there, or move out of the box again just to be difficult?
Monday, July 15, 2013
Things that make me go hmmmmmmm
Taking a break from the mundane breakdown of balls, strikes, home runs and double plays, this posts is just a series of unrelated random musings from the first half of the season. Some are positive, some are not, and some are just inane, but hopefully they will make you pause and reflect on the first month and half of baseball in Victoria.